Monday, May 30, 2016

Honduras Day 13: Arrived in Copán

Today was a long day for us. Not really because we were doing too much, but because we had so many different things going on. At 6a.m we began our trip to Copán. This car trip was probably one of the worst drives I have ever experienced in my life. No joke. It was about 8 and a half hours there, but the roads were SOOOO windy the whole entire way. By the end of the trip I ended up taking 4 dramamines total. It was ridiculous. It makes sense though since Honduras is all mountains. Not gonna lie, the view was absolutely gorgeous the whole entire time though. I think that's what might have gotten me through the trip. No need to worry about it now though, we are here safe and sound! (:
      We arrived in Copán at about 2:30. The hotel is beautiful! It has a bar that looks out into the pool area. The pool area is gorgeous, with palm trees and flowers everywhere. Our hotel room is right by the pool area too. The hotel is also right in the middle of the city by all the shops. After arriving, we basically all just through all our stuff into the room and went to the bar. Here in Honduras, the drinking age is 18. For a welcome into the city, the bar gave us a free welcoming drink. It was cucumber and gin. I thought it was okay. Not my favorite drink I've ever had but it was alright. This also was the first time I have had a drink since September because of my long journey of Accutane, so when they brought it out, I could not say no. However, because the medicine is still in my system for about another 3 weeks, I limited myself to one because of how high my liver enzymes already are. It was hard, but I did it. I mean come on, I'm on vacation. 
         After sitting at the bar for awhile, we went to lunch. I could not even tell you the name of the place, but all we were looking for was some chips and guacamole. So we sat outside and ate, while looking at the beautiful cobblestone streets of Copán. The only thing about Copán is that you have to be careful when walking around. It's a very touristy town (where I finally saw fellow gringos) and Hondurans look to steal your bag. As long as your careful though and walking in groups, you're fine. We walked around awhile and looked in a couple shops. I know I needed to still get Alec something so that was my specific thing I was looking for. He doesn't read my blog so I'm able to talk about it. I went into one store and found a pocket knife for him. He always carry one around and it's kind of like a guy thing that he enjoys so I got it for him. The cover over the knife blade is wooded and carved and the handle of the knife is made out of leather. It look like something he would enjoy and I think, even if he doesn't use it, he will be able to have it as a souvenir. I also found a really cute Honduran hand band that the locals make and sell in the stores, so I got a bright and colorful one. The last thing I found on the way bake was a lady weaving a bracelet. I thought my other brother would enjoy that, so I snagged one up for him too. Needless to say, I am done with gifts! Woo!
      Later, some went swimming, while me and some read our articles we have to have read by Tuesday. It's pretty interesting as it talks about social justice in schooling at a Bilingual school. I didn't get much read because soon enough it was time to go out. It's weird here because it's their "rainy season" (which it's rained twice this whole 2 weeks). However, it's part of what we would call "Winter" because it get's dark at around 6 o'clock. So it gets dark pretty fast. We went to dinner at a really nice place and I got some nachos (FINALLY NO BEANS)!!!! Hahaha. It was really good. We then just walked around and saw a lot of little tables selling food for back packers. We also rode on this tiny mototaxi around the town. Our guy went super fast up and down the hills and it was SOOOO fun! These taxis are completely different than what we know of. They are mini red and white cars with no doors on the sides. Kinda of like a golf cart, but also different. Just look up "Mototaxi Copán." You'll see what I mean. Any who, today was super fun, and tomorrow is already our last day in Copán! Unfortunatley, wifi is extremley bad here and I won't be able to post pictures for tonight or tomorrow nights post :/


"You say that you're no good for me,

Cause I'm always tugging at your sleeve,

And I swear I hate you when you leave,

But I like it anyway."


"Ghost" By Halsey

No comments:

Post a Comment