Thursday, May 26, 2016

Honduras Day 11: Rural School 2




        Today was another rural school!!! I was so excited for today because of the energy of the kids on Tuesday. It was a different rural school today than Tuesday though, so you never know. We got to sleep in a little later than usual today. We woke up at 7:15 and got ready and loaded the bus full of our supplies and food for the kids. Pulling up to the school, again, it was an amazing feeling. All the kids were waiting for us. They were waiting in line for us to arrive and when we started handing out the food, they were just like the last rural school. They just kept wanting to get more and more. This school contained about 30 students and all 30 students are in one classroom. The school doesn't have anything but one classroom and a very run down basketball court.
 The crafts we did with the kids were the same as Tuesdays. We first did the tie dye t-shirts. The kids really, again, had a super fun time doing these. I think not only were they excited to draw on the t-shirts and personalize them, but have a new article of clothing to wear. Again, the kids and teachers only spoke Spanish so I had to practice my Spanish hard core today. A teacher told us that the kids were performing at a festival this weekend and didn't have a costume, but now are going to have them wear these t-shirts. I think it is so awesome that not only could we create a craft that was fun but useful. These kids needed something new to wear, so I am happy to be able to provide them with that. We also did sock puppets which were really fun as well and the kids didn't seem to take them off their hands the whole time we were there, which is always nice to see they appreciate it. The last thing we did was have popcorn and snow cone carts come to the school to cater for an hour, like on Tuesday. During this time we hung out with the kids, playing soccer, playing with the sock puppets, or just sitting and talking. I saw a little boy on the streets who was alone playing with cars. After seeing this, I brought him to the school and played cards with him and took him in the classroom to make a sock puppet and a t-shirt. I don't know if he was part of the school or not, but either way, I brought him in to play. 
         The time flew by and before I knew it, it was time for us to get going. Today we were taking the principal of that school and taking her to lunch to here her story. It was a pupusa restaurant, which was SOOOO good! I can't get enough of the food here (besides the beans) and as well as the hot sauce! I finally found one hot enough for me (: This lady's story was so inspiring. She grew up as a young girl who was very much into poverty. When she got older, she married a Honduran man who as they got farther into their relationship, began to become an alcoholic. She saw this as a struggle, but they worked through it (which shows you how determined she is in the first placer). To make money, she began selling pupusa's at festivals and cater them for parties. People liked them so much that she began the restaurant we were eating at (which is doing really well now)! But she didn't stop there. Her whole life, she was the only one in her family to be literate. Because she saw this as a problem for many many kids and families in Honduras, she began a school (the one we went to today) for students to become literate (able to read and write). Not only did she begin that, but now she is beginning to work with single mothers and help them around the house and give them knowledge. Anything she can do for them. She is so inspiring and her story really touched me today. She never stops. Whatever change she can make in her community, she goes out and does it. She doesn't stop. It really speaks to me that whatever you set your mind to do, it can happen. 
         The rest of the day, we really didn't do too much. Some of the people went to the pool on the University and some worked on some work we have to do. I worked on my lesson plans for tomorrow. We went to dinner and I skyped a couple friends and my family. It was nice to be able to talk to them. I can't believe a week from today, this trip will end, however, my journey has only just started in my career and everything I have learned from this trip will stay with me for life. Wish me luck tomorrow, as it is my last day at the school that I've spent 2 weeks with so far! Very emotional for me!


"I'm open, your closed, Where I follow, you'll go,

I worry I won't see your face, light up again,

Even the best fall down sometimes, even the wrong words seem to rhyme,

Out of the doubt that fills my mind, I somehow find, you and I collide."


"Collide" By Howie Day

No comments:

Post a Comment