Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Honduras Day 10: Farewell Lunch


          Today was a normal day at Alison Bixby Stone School. I was really happy to get back in there and work. The rural school is fun and is a nice break, but it's nothing like coming into a classroom where you have formed a bond and relationship with the student and teacher. Today, I taught the 6th and 7th grade Writing and Reading as always. It's really nice to be able to teach them and get some experience, however, the one thing I wish I was able to teach for experience is the rest of the classes as well. I like english, don't get me wrong, but it's not something that I LOVE teaching. Today was wednesday, so that means the students got a half day. Therefore, 7th grade didn't  have a writing class today, so I only taught reading to them. We didn't do much, they just finished a project they worked on the previous day and then did guided reading. For guided reading, the teacher wanted me to read out loud to them. I had to stop every 2 paragraphs for them to explain what happened. Because there are student who are at a high, medium, and low level of knowledge in English, you have to make sure everyone understands. Not just the high level learners. 
         For 6th grade, they also had a project to finish from the previous day during reading, so they finished that and did guided reading. They are reading "The Giver." I read out loud to them and again, stopped every 2 paragraphs to reflect. In writing class, they are learning about genre's. At the beginning of class I reviewed what a genre was and they got the rest of the time to finish their papers. Tomorrow they are going to a different school (while I'm at a rural school) to present there papers and a poster they made along with it. 6th grade is probably one of my favorites. I love the connection I have with that class and it has just the right amount of maturity. They are beginning to develop their humor and going through the most awkward stages of your life. It's fun to be able to joke around with them as well as teach them.
          The kids got out at around 12:20. Because we only have one more day at this school after today, we had a Farewell Lunch. We did it today because it was a half day and we wouldn't have enough time on Friday. The food was amazing as always. Not going to lie though, me and the rest of the girls are getting sick of the beans. We have had them every meal since the time we got here. I love beans, but I can't eat them like that. It was sad thinking that it was a farewell dinner. I just don't want to leave this place. This place is gorgeous and the people are so friendly. I honestly, am the happiest I have EVER been on this trip. My heart is so happy. Thinking about leaving just breaks my heart. 
          After the Farewell Lunch, almost all of us came back to take a nap. We are all so exhausted from this irregular sleep schedule and the heat. It was 95 today with 100% humidity. I finally got Calamine lotion for my heat rash which was good, but so far it's still about the same. At 5, we had class to talk about our second book that we read. The book is SO good and really shows the struggle that immigrants or non-native speakers have in schools. It's called "Of Borders and Dreams" by Chris Lisa Carger. I really think every future educator should read this book. You need to know how to accommodate for those students so that they can have equal opportunity to succeed. Because we needed a break from the Honduran food, we all went out to a restaurant called La Casona. It as BEAUTIFUL!!! It had fairy lights everywhere, palm trees, and the prefect, cozy seating arrangements. We got pizza that was killer! It was either good because it truly was good or because I haven't had American food in weeks. Overall, today was awesome as always. I just have so much fun going to these schools and being in this environment. Tomorrow, we are going to a different rural school from Tuesday to do the same projects with those kids. I'm excited to see how those kids are and compare and contrast the three schools we have visited!
                  (Photos: First photo is of the hotel we have been staying at this whole stay and the second photo is of the restaurant we ate at today! Delicious!


"Show me what you do in this city, you can tell them we're just friends,

I just want to make you feel pretty over and over again,

I don't wanna cause no trouble, I just wanna hold your hand,

I just want to show you after all these years, that i'm still here."


"I'm Still Here" By Benjy Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment