Friday, May 27, 2016

Honduras Day 12: Last Day at Alison Bixby Stone School


        Today was one of the saddest days for me that I have so far experienced this summer. It was the last day at the Alison Bixby Stone School where I have been teaching for the last 2 weeks. These kids are some of the best kids that I have ever gotten the pleasure to know. They are sweet, kind, respectful, funny, sarcastic, and hard working. They keep telling met hat it's a pleasure to get to meet me, but honestly, it's a pleasure for me to have gotten to know them. I don't think they realize how much they have changed my life in ways that never would have happened without them. They give me energy every single day to get up there to do what I do. They give me happiness. I grew up with a saying from my dad that, "only you can change your emotions." On this trip, it really challenged that. It wasn't myself that made me happy. I only had the knowledge that I had up until now. But being with these kids, they are the ones that give me true happiness. I just couldn't feel even the slightest bit sad when I am around them. They taught me that whatever struggle may be happening in your life, just smile. I honestly am the happiest I have ever been down here. I'm doing the thing I love the most with the kids I love the most. I have learned more than I could have ever imagined. 
        Only 5 minutes I had been at the school, and kids started coming up to me and giving me cards and candy. Even banana bread that this kid's dad baked for me. Remember, they don't have a ton of money or a ton of food to just give away, so to know that they think that highly of me to give me food or whatever they can find, it's just a blessing. This whole day was extremely busy as I taught 3 writing classes and 2 reading classes. We learned about different kinds of essays but then focused our topic on research essays. I introduced them to the P.E.A.S format of a body paragraph and the strategy seemed to go pretty well for them. I know it's extremely important considering I use it almost every time I write a paper. It still blows my mind, how much motivation and determination these kids have to learn. I can't say that all Americans don't have the motivation to learn, but for these kids, things aren't handed to them. They really have to work because without an education, they don't get jobs. They don't get to go to college without a scholarship and in order to receive a scholarship, they have to do well in school. Education doesn't come easy for them and to see them persevere and not give up, is absolutely incredible.
          One of the things I have mentioned previously and really saw during this experience is the amount of motivation these kids have. I can't say that all kids in America aren't motivated or just get handed an education, but for me, that's how it was. My dad could afford it and so I just knew that that's how life works. I noticed some reasons as to why the kids are motivated that I really think future educators should incorporate when teaching. I think one of the most important thing you can do as an educator is provide feedback. However, this is where a lot of teachers go wrong. In my high school, I talked a lot. I was a talker. I was very opinionated. Many teachers took this the wrong way and seemed to give me a TON of negative criticism. Which is fine, but I didn't get anything positive. That's where we go wrong. We need to create a balance in the classroom between positive and negative feedback. Another thing that is important for people to be motivated is the environment. The environment needs to be a safe, respectful environment. I have also learned that hands-on activities are super important because just listening doesn't cut it. They get bored. So to incorporate a good environment with a relationship that is cohesive between the student, teacher, and parent, making the environment respectful and where you want to learn, and to incorporate hands-on activities is another thing that can help students become motivated. The last thing, and something I think is also one of the most important things a teacher can do is let the student know that you are all on the same ground level. No one is more superior than the other. You are ALL learning, just from a different perspective. With doing this, you can create that balance between being a friend and a teacher. 
         After school, I got a bunch of hugs from the kids and collected the rest of the cards and gifts. I didn't cry, although I wanted to. I know that this is just the beginning and I will have many more experiences to come. Tonight, is movie night with the rest of the girls from the trip. We haven't had just a time to sit and chill out for awhile, so tonight we did just that. It was nice to be able to talk to the girls and just have nothing to do. Tonight starts the vacation time of the trip. Tomorrow we leave for Copán at around 6a.m. (8a.m. Indiana time). I am ready to relax and chill out, however, I will miss this place. This memory will always stay with me! Thank you to all the people who have supported my wishes to be a teacher and my parents for letting me go on this amazing once-in-a-lifetime trip. I've learned more than they will ever know.


"You're dripping like a saturated sunrise, you're dripping like a saturated sunlight,

You're spilling like an overflowing sink,

You're ripped at every edge but you're a masterpiece,

And now you're tearing through the pages and the ink."


"Colors" By Halsey

No comments:

Post a Comment