Sunday, July 19, 2015

Indiana or California???



         My family and I have never stayed in one place for too long. I was born in Winona, Minnesota till I was two and then moved to some apartments in California of for about two years and then moved to a house in Fresno, California till I was 12 and now currently in Noblesville, Indiana. I don't remember too much about Minnesota obviously, but California and Indiana I remember very well. And I love them both pretty equally, both with good things and bad things. However, California would be more of a place for me to live because of my personality rather than Indiana. 
         The difference in weather is huge between Indiana and California. That is probably the biggest difference. In Indiana, it's very humid and sticky in the summer and in the winter there is a bunch of snow and can get below 0 obviously. In California, the sun is usually always shining and when it is, it's just sun, no humidity or rain. They don't really have a big winter. Winter usually is december-february and consists of rain, nothing else and it rarely gets below 30 at the least. Everyone in California would be super excited when it rained because we barley had any. Same with if it was any where below 65 degrees, we would wear sweatshirts because we thought was freezing. However, all year round the air is AWFUL. It is sooo bad down there. I remember going to school and they would have flags by the entrance that was green, yellow, and red. If it was green, you can go outside, if it was yellow it was precaution, and at red you can't go outside. So the whole town basically looked at that and for school we looked at it for recess. Moving to Indiana, I was unsure of the snow because I never really had experience with it. If we wanted to, we were able to drive about two hours to find snow in California so that was always cool. I went to Shaver Lake and Lake Tahoe plenty of times to see snow for about an hour and then leave to go back home where it was about 50 degrees.
         Another difference between the two would be the nature of the states and attitude of the people. In California, one of my favorite things was the scenery of everywhere you went. In A LOT of parts it was very dry and I remember having field fires just from someone throwing a cigarette butt out the window. However, if you looked off in the distance you could see a mountain view which was gorgeous compared to Indiana where EVERYTHING is flat and everything is surrounded by cornfields (which does make Halloween a ton better though). But like I said earlier, from where I lived, it only took about two hours to get to the mountains and have snow. But I can say, Indiana has a good location in the United States though. You can get to almost anywhere in the United States in less than 4 hours by plane which is very convenient. Both states have places that are world widely know like Indiana has the Indianapolis 500 which I can definatley say I have been and California has Coachella which IS LIKE THE NUMBER ONE THING ON MY BUCKET LIST!!!!!!! So both are pretty equal with things that go on inside the states. There are also no mosquitos in California where in Indiana there is. As with the people from both states, there is also a pretty big difference. In Indiana everyone is just very calm. They are helpful and I really haven't met too many people that I just don't like. In California, there are more people who are just stuck up and rude to you in grocery stores or walking in the streets. But that is that California attitude. It's also pretty common to hear someone say that they have lived by a famous person or met a famous person just because your obviously in the state of California. When I lived there, Britney Spears actually had a house and lived in Fresno the same time I did. I drove by the house one time but I never saw anyone but just knowing that that happened in my town was pretty cool.
        Lastly, one other thing about the two that are kind of different is the pronunciations of words and our schools. Not too much is different with our pronunciations or what we say, but there are a few I can point out. When saying carmel we put more emphasis on the MEL part so we would say car-MEL, when we say "governor" we actually say "governator" (don't ask why I just said it cuz I grew up with my parents saying it), etc. For the school systems were pretty similar except for the set up of the school. In Indiana, the school are inside and we go from 7:35 to 2:45. But in California, the schools went from 8:30-3:45 and it was outside. So the Classrooms were all inside but when you walk outside the classroom, you were outside. Which sucked when it rained but it rarely did so honestly I liked the California schools a lot better. Our lockers were outside under a canopy as well as our auditorium (we had one inside and outside) and then to get to the library or office you walked outside. For lunch, you could choose to sit inside or outside, it didn't matter. As with the ages in the schools, not too much was different either. Indiana it goes elementary: Preschool-4th, Intermediate: 5th and 6th, Middle school: 7th and 8th, Freshman Campus, and High school: 10th-12th. California we basically just got rid of the intermediate. So it went Elementary: Preschool-6th, Middle school: 7th and 8th, and High School: 9th-12th. 
      Writing this makes me miss California soooo much but I love Indiana probably equally. My friends here are my whole life and I can't wait to go to Purdue. So I would have to say that I wouldn't change the fact that we moved, I just miss it tons! I hope you guys enjoy this little compare and contrast (:


"There's too many things I haven't done yet,

Too many sunsets I haven't seen,

Can't waste the day wishing it'd slow down,

You would've thought by now I'd have learned something

I made up my mind when I was a young girl,

I've been given this one world and I won't worry it away."


"Many the Miles" Sara Bareilles

No comments:

Post a Comment